PMMI — The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, Reston, VA
Director, Member Communications (2007–2015)
Marketing communications team member for 700+-member association of packaging and processing machinery manufacturers and suppliers. Media point of contact for PMMI and its industry-leading PACK EXPO trade shows. MarComm liaison to association’s Global Marketing team.
- Print Collateral. Researched, wrote, edited and collaborated with designers and printers to create marketing materials such as brochures and ads in support of association products and initiatives.
- Annual Reports. Wrote and produced 16–20 page annual reports that were distributed to more than 700 member companies and integral to member recruitment and engagement efforts.
- Communications. Developed and executed communications plans to increase engagement and exposure for PMMI member services, events and the PACK EXPO trade shows. Primary point of contact for industry press year-round.
- Trade Show PR & Copywriting. Wrote, edited and managed copy flow for case histories, emails, press releases, and articles and columns to support the PACK EXPO trade shows. Managed PACK EXPO Media Center on site, welcoming more than 100 members of the media to the event.
- Speech Writing. Drafted more than 20 staff and volunteer speeches, including Chairman’s Reports, ranging up to 15-minutes in length to bolster association’s public brand. Created compelling, complementary slide decks.
- Copy Editing. Created and implemented PMMI’s first style manual, leaning heavily on AP Style and incorporating industry and association terminology and norms.
- Video production. Monthly 2-minute video spotlights showcased notable member activities to increase awareness and use of member benefits.
- Photography. Managed onsite photography at PACK EXPO trade shows. Served as de facto staff photographer to capture highlights of member meetings.
Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA), Fairfax, VA
Editorial Manager (2002–2007)
Updated the voice of this international trade association as its senior copywriter and editor. Contributed to the creative team, developing message points and promotional campaigns to support membership efforts and the annual convention, SGIA Expo.
- Storytelling. Related SGIA’s external brand through advertorial supplements, articles and press releases.
- Marketing Communications. Promoted association activities and events by writing and collaborating on broadcast emails, brochures, ads and direct mail.
- Speech Writing. Wrote scripts for volunteers and association president/CEO at member meetings.
- Copywriting. Apprised members of association and industry news through website copy and twice-monthly newsletters.
The Vision Council, Alexandria, VA
Manager of Public Relations (1995–2002)
Managed day-to-day relationship with PR agency to promote eye care and eyewear to consumers through public relations campaigns that included a 10-city bus tour, media luncheons and satellite media tours.
- Public Relations. Managed communications for the Vision Expo trade shows and served as lead point of contact for industry press. Coached association spokespeople for media appearances.
- Copywriting. Wrote and edited advertorials, newsletters, press releases and talking points.
Flight Safety Foundation, Alexandria, VA
Editorial Assistant (1992–1995)
Shadow Traffic Network, Rutherford, NJ
B.A. in Communication, American University, 1989